Friday, October 2, 2015

Stutthof Concentration Camp



October 2, 2015


Stutthof Concentration Camp


Stutthof Concentration Camp was the first camp of its kind constructed on Polish soil and "the last to be dissolved".  Located in an area three km from the Baltic coast and 34 km from the Gdansk/Danzig area, Stutthof was officially opened on September 2, 1939, just one day after the start of the war in Poland.

At first Stutthof was a forced labor camp reserved for intellectuals and religious and political leaders characterized by the Germans as an "undesirable element" within Polish society. Then Gestapo jails from cities like Torun and Plock added more prisoners in 1939.  Stutthof had as few as 250 prisoners and swelled to as many as 52,000.  Towards the end of the war Hungarian, Czech, and Greek Jews were sent to Stutthof from Auschwitz where the majority were immediately marked for extermination.

Anton Puskiewicz was arrested in 1944 and imprisoned at Stutthof.  His prisoner number was 63808. The date of his death at the camp is unknown.  The circumstances surrounding his arrest are unclear after 71 years, but the following two letters from Anton's g grandson (translated from the Polish) should give a glimpse of why it happened.

9/30/2014

Dear Roberta,
I’m writing to you on behalf of my grandma Helena Kowalewska. My name’s Piotr. A few days ago we received a letter for which we thank you very much. My grandma is feeling great and is 86. Her brother and sisters are not alive now. She has 4 children and her oldest son is not alive. From the account of events of my grandma I know that her father and brother Bolesław were taken to a concentration camp where the brother of my grandma survived but her father died. The mother of my grandma died in the War and then they lived alone. About 40 years ago my grandma contacted Rywka and Fela. She recieved letters and pictures of their family from them but after some time the contact was lost. If you want to get more information and keep in touch with my grandma please send us an e-mail or a letter. My grandma sends kisses to you and Fela and the whole family. 
I hope this letter finds you in good health.
Best Regards,
Piotr Kowalewski

10/20/2014

Dear Mrs. Roberta,
I’m sorry for not replying for so long but my computer was broken down. You asked if Germans took my great-grandfather to the camp because he had hid Ryfka and Fela. From the account of events of my grandma and grandpa it was that reason (hiding Ryfka and Fela), and my grandma’s brother was taken to the labour camp. Sometimes my grandma casts her mind back to those times. She remembers when Germans came to their farm and took her father and brother. It was them as young children, who the Germans pointed a gun at because they started to run. When it comes to letters and pictures none of them are left . So many years have already passed by that my grandma doesn’t have any mementos, only remembrance. The time of war was horrible and everyone who provided shelter for Jews knew that if the Germans found out that it wouldn’t be good. During the war there were a lot of people who told Germans that their neighbors were hiding Jews. It was a horrible period of time and I hope that we will never have to experience something like that nowadays or in the future. Nowadays, a lot of information is available on TV.
I’m really sorry that I can’t help you with the letters, but too many years have passed. I’m happy that someone from your family survived and is happy with her life and has family.
I’m sending kind regards to you and your family,
Peter

Finally, Anton Puszkiewicz's information from his prisoner questionnaire:

1. Found a prisoner:
Name: Puszkiewicz
Name: Anton
Camp number: 63808
Date of Birth: 1881-05-10
Place of birth: brzeszczki małe
Place of residence: Gottvergelts, Kr. Leipe
Archival file number: I-IIE-12-311
source: Book of cadastral

2. Found prisoner:
Name: Puszkiewicz
Name: Anton
Camp number: 63808
Date of Birth: 1881-05-10
Place of birth: Brzeszczki
Place of residence: Gottvergelts
Nationality: Pole
Occupation: Landwirt
Archival file number: I-IID-4-63

Source: Personal Questionnaires

No comments:

Post a Comment